Where road users are most likely to encounter trains
Effectively managing risk at rail crossings is an increasingly important and challenging task for governments, rail operators, rail maintainers and road authorities.
A holistic response
At Opus Rail, we’ve learned that to create safe rail crossings you need to follow a systematic method for risk assessment and to prioritise upgrade works. Our approach has shifted beyond traditional signalling solutions towards holistic crossing design covering all elements of the road, rail, footpath and surrounding environment.
Full range of services
Opus Rail has a specialist team of designers and consultants who provide the full spectrum of design and evaluation services, including:
- Initial risk assessment covering road, rail and pedestrian traffic
- Site and environmental investigations and surveys
- Design, construction and commissioning.
We have been the engineering services provider for the Victorian Government’s Level & Pedestrian Crossing Upgrade Programme since its launch in early 2007. Working with VicTrack, the ARTC, V/Line, Connex, and the Road Authorities over this period, we have conducted the risk assessment, site investigation and specification for 150 Victorian crossing upgrades over the past two years.
Our detailed designs, for hand-over to construction contractors, encompass the full range of rural and urban crossings and road, rail and pedestrian assets.
Opus Rail was engaged by the Rail Industry Safety and Standards Board (RISSB) to write the new Australian Standard AS 7658 – Railway Level Crossings, which was completed and released in 2012.
We have also been active in other states in the provision of technical services involving level crossing advice to rail operators and rail infrastructure providers including:
- Accident investigations
- Level crossing protection
- Risk management and railway interface agreements
- Commissioning services for new facilities
- Performance simulation and testing services for level crossing signalling and train detection systems
- Investigations, concepts designs and Due Diligence Independent Technical Expert (Rail) for various iron ore railway systems